Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Post -Scarcity (YANGI?)

 Jamey Stegmaier sometimes posts interesting thoughts on his blog, and today he posed the question: "What Sci-Fi project would you pursue as an eccentric billionaire?"

On twitter, a few folks responded, and my personal favorite answer to that was teleportation. I've long been a fan of teleportation, I've always said it's my favorite impossible ability -- if I could choose a super power, that would be it!

Jamey described portals that you could step into in one location and out of in another (like in the video game, I guess). That's almost verbatim something I used to think about when I was young. Someone else mentioned food replicators like on Star Trek, another awesome prospect!

Like many things do, this of course made me think of a board game. Suppose there's a worker placement game, but you can only move your workers to an adjacent space each turn, and you have to feed them every round, etc. Then imagine you can invent technologies to get around that tedium and those drawbacks... first maybe something that lets you move 2 spaces, or cuts your food costs in half. Then later, teleporters (move anywhere) and food replicators (no more feeding). During the game, you spend time and effort inventing these technologies, which earn you victory points, but once invented, all players gain their benefits!

I've seen games like Antike where being the player to make a discovery is expensive, and worth VP, but then the discovery becomes cheap for other players to obtain (though they don't get the points). I'm not sure if I've seen a game where the technology is automatically useable by all players, though it wouldn't surprise me if such a game exists.

This sounds like an OK premise for a game, but really it's just a backbone. There'd have to be something for players to actually do. Also, I think there would need to be a few more inventions to make life easier.

Perhaps the theme could be creating a post-scarcity society. A utopia where people don't need to spend so much time toiling away just to pay bills and feed themselves, and can instead spend more time and attention on the arts and their loved ones. That would be a pretty upbeat theme for once.

I don't have any further thoughts about this at the moment (hey, maybe this could work into that I-Cut-You-Choose Worker Placement idea I had a while back), so I'll just file it away to possibly revisit later. If you have any thoughts about this game idea, please feel free to leave them in the comments!

3 comments:

Tim M said...

Thinking on the Utopia and more time for Arts comment, perhaps there's an VP track tied to the arts and unlike technology it doesn't unlock for all players. You instead have to choose to imitate an unlocked art style for less or no points (but maybe still a benefit) or build upon that style costing more resources or time for greater point rewards and/or benefit.

Michelle said...

I like this idea! I'm imagining floppy black-hole-like portals that you can place to connect regions of a board. Maybe other players can use it too if they can obtain a key.
The food replication reminds me of a PlayDoh grocery store we had as kids, which I think should definitely be replicated in this game design. :)

Seth Jaffee said...

@Michelle - I love those floppy portable holes, like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I guess they could be portals that connect 2 places!

Actually, though it hasn't seen print yet, I had wormholes in my Terra Prime expansion (may eventually come out as Eminent Domain Origins) which work like that.