Sunday, February 06, 2022

A random thought on making a kid's game

 Not too long ago I had the idea to make a Railroad Tycoon inspired game about moving patrons around a Disney style amusement park. Someone even helped me make a potential board draft by overlaying a hex grid over a map of Disneyland I found online, and I colored some of the hexes with different colors such as yellow for eateries, green for shops, blue for rides, pink for character encounters, and orange for shows. As yet I have not taken that idea any further.

Recently, my 3.5 year old son, seeing that draft board, wanted to "play this game" with me. So I grabbed a couple of pawns and a die, and we started taking turns ...

I rolled the die, then moved my pawn, space by space, a number of times equal to the roll result. Then I said "your turn" and gave Corbin the die. He rolled and moved his pawn around more or less at random, but the right number of times according to the die roll. Cool. So I took another turn, clearly and intentionally moving space-by-adjacent-space, trying to end up on a colored space. When I would do so, I'd say something like "I'm going to ride this ride." Turn by turn, Corbin started getting closer and closer to what I was doing, eventually moving space by space, and sometimes even trying to land on the colored spaces!

Now, that's not really a game by any definition, as we didn't have a goal or anything, but I was thinking about how to make it into one. Today, Corbin wanted to "play" that game again, and so we did the same thing, only this time I figured maybe the goal could be to visit one of each type of attraction, then again but without repeat attractions... Imagine you left a cube on each colored space showing you'd been there, and once you have a cube on one of each type of space, you replace those with markers and start placing cubes again

Also, I had marked some spaces purple and labeled "tram" - maybe you could move from one purple space to another as if they were adjacentis that simple enough for a kid? The goal: visit all the different colored spaces! The mechanism: simple roll and move. It's not super exciting or deep, but that's not really the point of a kids game, right?



No comments: