Thursday, May 12, 2022

Keeping up with Keeping Up With the Joneses, take 2

Time for a status update on Keeping Up With the Joneses:

I've recently tightened up the card pool, replacing some sub-par cards with ones that feel much more useful. At present, you basically get 2 track bumps on your turn, one from your card, the other from your rondel movement. In addition, the Joneses move N times per round (where N is the number of players in the game). One concern I have about that is in a 2-player game, you get about as many track bumps as the Joneses, which might make it too easy to keep up with them. Then again, I do scale the definition of "close enough to score," so maybe I'm overly concerned about that for no reason. If it does prove to be a problem, I suppose I could just start the Joneses marker up 1 notch for 2 players.

One other thing I've never been 100% on in this game is the effect of the Charity vs Social tracks. They both directly allow you to turn money into points, although they do it a little bit differently:

Charity: You must either pay the listed cost to advance on the track (and collect some points), or else go down on the track and gain 2 money.
Social: Advance on the track, then you may pay 1 money for 1 point up to a certain number of times.
I keep going back and forth over whether those are too similar or not. Nobody has ever brought it up other than me, and while I tend to either ignore the Social track, or else advance on it without spending any money, perhaps that's just my play style (I tend to spend my money on Home and/or Kids).

I do like the dynamic of the Charity track, so if anything were to change, it should probably be the Social track. That said, I do have a few ideas for an alternate Social track effect - something along the lines of:

Score 15/9/6vp. When you advance here, each other player may pay you $3 to advance here as well.

I think this idea has the potential to really feel social. The scoring is 50% higher than standard, so there's some good incentive to get up the track - be that by landing there, or by paying money when someone else does.

One other new twist I tried was moving the Joneses pawn the same number of space the player moves, rather than a random number (from 0-3). I have always been skeptical of this due to the potentially high variance in the game length, and the possibility that it might overload the decision of which card to take by adding another potentially important factor to that decision. I have tried that once so far, and in that game it did not seem to feel like it overloaded our decisions, the length of the game ended up being within the same range as using the random numbers, and the resolution of the turn went a little bit smoother. On the down side, that decision did tend to take a little bit longer on average, and I kind of miss the possibility of the Joneses moving 0 sometimes. 

At this point, I can't make any further progress without getting more testing in to try that new version of the Social track, and make sure all the other details hold up to multiple plays.

No comments: