Thursday, June 17, 2021

The List: circa June, 2021

I've decided it might be a good idea to reorganize The List, and I've updated the categories a little bit: 

Published Games - this hasn't changed much lately, but I hope more games will bump up soon:

Terra Prime (BGG)
Eminent Domain (BGG)
Eminent Domain: Escalation (BGG) (expansion)
Eminent Domain: Exotica (BGG) (expansion)
Eminent Domain: Oblivion (BGG) (expansion)
Eminent Domain: Microcosm (BGG)
Isle of Trains (BGG)
Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done (BGG)
Crusaders: Divine Influence (BGG) (expansion) [printed and waiting]
Dungeon Roll: Winter Heroes (BGG)
- Gold West: Bandits promo (BGG)
- Gold West: Trading Post promo (BGG)
- Yokohama: Achievements & Free Agents promo (BGG)
Brainfreeze

Finished But Unpublished Games - in line to be published:
Eminent Domain Origins [Ready to print]
- Crusaders: Crimson Knight (expansion) [Ready to print]
- Crusaders: Amber Knight (expansion) [Ready to print]
Eminent Domain: Chaos Theory (dice game) [Ready for art]

Currently Pitching Games - actively looking for a publisher:
Olympus on the Serengeti  (FKA Deities and Demigods - might go back to this title) [Art paused]
Apotheosis (Co-Design with Rick Holzgrafe) [pitching to publishers]
Sails & Sorcery [with Michael Mindes] [pitching to publishers]
Riders of the Pony Express (BGG) [pitching to publishers]
Exhibit (BGG) [pitching to publishers]
Keeping Up with the Joneses [pitching to publishers]
All For One (BGG) (Co-Design with David Brain) [pitching to publishers]

"Finished" But Unpublished Games - abandoned or backburnered designs that are "done":
Dice Works (BGG)
Wizard's Tower (BGG) [Abandoned]
- Isle of Trains: All Aboard (expansion)
Suburban Sprawl
Watch It Played [Abandoned]
Now Boarding [Abandoned]
Rolling RealmsJaffee Realms (for Jamey Stegmaier's Rolling Realms)

Current Active Designs - these are the games I'm actively testing or working on:

Backburnered Designs - I kid myself into thinking that I'm still working on these:
- Isle Of Trains: The Board Game (Co-Design with Dan Keltner)
Joan of Arc

Promising Recent ideas:
Worker-ception [with David Short]
False Prophet [Mancala/Worker Placement]
Come And Play [Sesame Street memory/rondel game]
Candyland Game [Candyland/No Thanks mashup]


Old Standbys - games which have been around, 1/2 done and untouched, for years:
8/7 Central [Abandoned]
Hot & Fresh [Abandoned]
Reading Railroad [Abandoned]
Kilauea [a designer showed interest in co-designing, but that didn't go anywhere]
Automatown [with Michael Brown]
Dynasty [I still think this one has potential]

Misc and Really Old Stuff - most of this I'll probably never get back to, but I like keeping it around just in case:
9-Ball
Blockade Runner
- Roman Emperors (my version of someone else's game)
- Admirals of the Spanish Main (my version of someone else's game)
-Scourge of the High Seas [deckbuilding game with 2 center rows]

Here are notable comments on some of the above titles:

Olympus on the Serengeti  (FKA Deities and Demigods - might go back to this title) [Art paused]
I have started pitching this game to publishers, and I'm really having second thoughts about the whole Lion King style theme idea... I'm pitching it with the original Deities & Demigods theme, and I'm hoping that an interested publisher will worry about the theme issues I'd mentioned.

I put some thought into this, drafted up some rules, and made a physical prototype to try out. A Twitter follower was kind enough to implement my prototype files on Tabletop Simulator as well, so I've managed a first run 2p game with Rick. It went OK, pretty good as first runs go in fact, and I have made some changes that sound promising for a second attempt. I missed out on playtesting last weekend, so I look forward to Saturday when I can hopefully give this one another go.

All For One (BGG) (Co-Design with David Brain) [pitching to publishers]
After 17 or 18 years, it's finally time I started pitching this game! The latest changes seemed very good, and I found some time to make a TTS mod for the game. I'm hoping I can get some plays in especially if any publishers bite on it. I've always said that (until recently) the biggest disappointment of my game design career is that All For One hasn't been published. I'm hoping to rectify that sometime soon.

Worker-ception [with David Short]
Since David Short came in on this with me, we made a little headway with regard to how the game should work. I even came up with a host of mini-games to try out, so it might not be too hard to put together a prototype for this one at this point. I should probably write up the current ideas in a blog post! However, it hasn't been as high a priority for me, and apparently not for David either, as communication on it kind of fizzled out a while ago. I'm pretty sure we both want to get back to this one though.

This idea always struck me as a potentially simple-yet-fun, accessible game on the order of Ticket to Ride, and every time I look back on it I wonder why I don't put together a prototype and give it a shot. My most recent posts on the game (circa: 2008? Geez!) still sounds viable, and not even that hard to make a prototype for! I am trying to convince myself to make this the next game I work on - I should be able to get something together on TTS without TOO much trouble. Who knows, maybe that'll spur some development... if it turns out to have promise after a first play.

No comments: