Rules last updated 8/7/14
This post will house the current game rules for Watch It Played: the Card Game. I will try and keep it up to date with any changes that may occur.
For PnP files, click HERE. (Updated Comment cards HERE 8/7/14)
Files last updated 8/7/14
Watch It Played: The Card GameA game of reviews and how-tos for 2 to 4 video gurus
18 Game cards (depicting a game box on the back and a YouTube video page on the front)
36 Comment cards (Depicting a thumb icon on the back and an Action and Comment on the front)
Shuffle the Game deck and place it in the center of the play area. Place the top 2 cards of the deck in a row beside the deck, game box side showing.
Shuffle the Comment deck and deal 2 cards to each player. Set the remaining deck beside the Game deck.
The player who most recently posted a video online is the start player.
The object of the game is to post videos online about games, and garner comments on those videos, striving to increase your View count. Views are victory points in the game, and at the end of the game, the player with the most Views will win! Each game will be a member of one (or more) categories, and at the end of the game bonus views will be awarded to the player with the most Thumbs in each category.
Over the course of the game, you will obtain games, post videos about those games, get comments on those videos (some positive, some negative) which will raise (or lower) your view count and thumbs. You'll build an audience, and score a bonus for each genre of game that you have more thumbs than anybody else.
Begin with the start player and take turns clockwise. Your turn consists of 2 parts, DRAW, and PLAY.
DRAW: Choose one of the following options:
a) Draw 2 cards from the Comment deck
b) Draw 1 Game card, paying the cost by discarding Comment cards.
- It costs 0 Comment cards to take the Game card furthest from the deck. Slide the other two cards over so that there are again three to choose from.
- It costs 1 Comment card to take the Game card adjacent to the deck. Slide the top card of the deck over so that there are again 3 to choose from.
- It costs 2 Comment cards to take the Game card on the top of the deck.
Place any discarded Comment cards into a common discard pile next to the Comment draw pile.
Game cards drawn by players are placed face down (game box showing) in that player's tableau.
PLAY: Choose one of the following options:
a) Post a video, paying the cost (listed on the card) by discarding Comment cards.
b) Add a Thumb to a video by tucking a Comment card face down (Thumb icon showing) under a video in play
c) Play a Comment - execute the text on the comment side of a Comment card, then tuck the card under a video in play so that the comment shows. Comments will increase or decrease your view count and thumbs.
d) Draw 1 Comment card.
The game end triggers when the Comment deck runs out a 2nd time (when it runs out the first time, shuffle the discards and create a new draw deck).
The game end also triggers when the last Game card is drawn.
When either of those things happens, finish out the current round such that each player has the same number of turns, and the game ends.
* Finish that player's turn and the game ends immediately
* Play out the round, then play 1 full round
Players score points according to two things: views on their videos, and thumb majorities in each category.
* View Count: Each video has a view count, and most comments will add or subtract views. Views are points in this game, so total up all views on your videos and comments to get your total view count.
* Thumb majorities: For each of the 6 categories in the game, the player with the most thumbs will receive a bonus 300* views. Black thumbs count as any 1 color associated with the video they are attached to. Players tied for most thumbs in a category score 100 views instead.
* Considering 500 or 400 as well