Saturday, December 11, 2021

Exploration mechanics

Exploration tiles 

I'm adding an exploration mechanism to one of my games, and iterating through a few variations on it has got me thinking about how exploration works. An obvious mechanism is to have face down tiles and flip them up when you get to them. I went this route in my first game, Terra Prime, and it worked alright. In an expansion however I modified that a bit -- set all the tiles face up so you could see where the planets are, then added a face-down exploration tile to each in order to maintain the exploration feel.

Another approach

Another approach though, is drawing multiple tiles to choose from. This could represent preparedness, or luck -- the more tiles you draw to choose from, the more likely you'll find something you like. Some years ago (circa 2007) I suggested this as a variant to the dig mechanism in Thebes, as a way to balance it out a bit, and I encountered a bit of pushback from some folks. Evidently, it can feel a lot less like exploration if you get to choose what you find.

In the game I'm currently working on, making changes requested by the publisher, the actions can be better or worse depending on how invested in them you are. In the case of this new exploration action, my first attempt allowed you to draw more and more tiles the higher your action level was. This is similar to my proposed Thebes variant - the more prepared you are to dig (or in my case, the more invested you are in that action), the more likely you'll find something you'll like. this works if you consider that the tile you choose is the one that's 'actually there,' and that you got to look at several first just means you're luckier, you tend to fid better stuff on average.

I still feel that's an OK mechanism, but I can see the point of the people who think that breaks the exploration theme... when you're making a choice, it does feel less like you're literally exploring what's there. So in my latest playtest, I just had players draw 1 tile, not several to choose from. If you were more invested in the action, you could do more than 1 explore at a time. Then I made sure that no matter what tile you draw, you get something of appropriate value, even if it's not the actual thing you had hoped to find. Also, I only have 5 tiles of each type, so in the late game, when the bags are low, you can have a pretty good idea of what you'll get.

So tell me what YOU think...

Does drawing multiple tiles to choose from break the exploration theme for you? Or do you see that as a way to represent spending more time, doing a better job, being more prepared, or getting more lucky?

In my last playtest, my players and I didn't miss the ability to draw more tiles to choose from, so I am very likely to keep the "surprise me" version. I could see adding a unique card or ability to the game that can let you draw 2 tiles to choose from when exploring, and if that breaks the theme for anybody, at least it's a specific piece of content, and not part of the game's structure.

3 comments:

theTrueMikeBrown said...

Personally, that wouldn't cause me any concern, but I don't mind having low theme immersion, so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask

ekted said...

If I'm truly trying to experience an exploration game, I not only do NOT want to have any control over what is "revealed" as I move around, I also want to have what is revealed feel "realistic" in whatever sense that means for the subject matter. For example, on an Earth-based setting, I wouldn't expect tropical jungle on the edge of one tile, and polar icecap to show up right next to it.

Justin Leingang said...

I do feel that giving the player agency over exploration is a great idea! I think getting it to feel "correct" is simply a matter of breaking down the IRL analog and building a smooth model. Something that always comes to mind when I experience exploration in tabletop games is that there seems never to be the expression of exploration's partner, discovery. Discovery takes action and takes decisions—one doesn't discover something just because they happened to bump into it (that's just lucky happenstance).

Perhaps there's a way you can frame your draw-multiple-and-choose-one around the discovery part rather than the exploration? One idea might be to have the choice be between some common set of actions—let's just say these actions are: Dig, Climb, Hide. If the location tile/card/whatever is evocative enough, it could give players clues to what might happen if they choose Dig versus Climb versus Hide. They'll be actively discovering based on intelligent choices, which could feel really, really good if their hunch was spot on.

Let's say that the location explored to is a dried up riverbed. The player decides to Dig. The result is that there was an aquifer not far below the surface and water springs up to fill the riverbed. Now, the player can get water to drink/use a raft to go somewhere else/etc.

This is probably a really bad off-the-cuff example, but hopefully it sufficiently communicates the idea...