Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Kid's car racing game: details

 In a recent post I mentioned three new game ideas. In this post I'll flesh out one of them...

Kid's Car Race

My 4.5 year old son LOOOVES vehicles. No idea why, I'm not a "car guy" by any means, but he's just fascinated by cars, trucks, tractor-trailers, vehicle transports, excavators, etc, etc, etc. He especially likes sporty cars (with spoilers), and he "oohs" and "ahhs" every time we see a Camero in traffic.

I thought this might be a good way to get him interested in playing games with me. We have a copy of Monza, and he plays that (he tolerates it, doesn't get as excited about it as I thought he might), and he understands the rules - including a house rule we use.

I recently saw a new game called HEAT: Pedal to the Metal, and started looking into it a little bit to see if I thought my son could handle a simplified version of that game (I don't really think so).

What he has been excited to play lately is War. He loves playing War, and he tolerates Monza... so I thought maybe I could make a game similar to Monza that used cards like War. In the end I came up with something that is NOT like War at all.

In this ide, you use the cars, board, and Dice from Monza, but instead of rolling the dice to move forward on the board, you play a card (value 1-3), and move that number of spaces. Then, whatever color you land on, you look at the dice and move 1 more space forward for each die showing that same color, then you reroll those dice. 

I tried playing 2-handed solo a few times, and it seems to work alright! So I tried to get my son to play it with me... no luck (at least not yet)

So here are the rules to the game -- you could try it if you have a copy of Monza and a deck of cards or two handy: 

COMPONENTS:

12 cards (4 each value 1, 2, 3) [use more for more players, or for 2 laps]
1 game board (see Monza)
6 color pip dice (see Monza)

SETUP:

1. Put the cars on the starting space of the racetrack
2. Deal 3 cards face up (could be face down instead) to each player
3. Roll all 6 dice
4. Youngest player goes first 

GAME PLAY:

On your turn, play a card and move that number of spaces (per Monza rules). 

Then, check the color of the space you land on. For each die showing that color, move 1 space farther (in that same lane, stop at tire spaces). 

Finally, reroll those dice and draw a replacement card (when the deck runs out, just don't draw - or reshuffle or something)

No comments: